Friday, July 13, 2007

Is this what being an adult is?

/rant

Sigh. Does everyone else worry *all the time*? I am beginning to wonder whether or not I am just have a personality that is inclined to worry, or if it is some fundamental aspect of the human condition. I worry about being a fraud at my profession, I worry about not working hard enough to get tenure, I worry when I am away from work that I should be working harder, I worry when I am at work that life is too short and I am focused on the wrong things. I worry about having enough money to pay all the bills, I worry about various and mundane things about my personal life that I have varying degrees of control over...

In short, I seem to worry alot, and it seems to be taking a lot out of me. I try to stop and smell the roses, but then worry that I stopped too long. I always have this underlying feeling that I should be doing something. I find it very hard to just "turn off" and relax, because when I do, the worry kicks in and I feel like I am somehow wasting important time that I could be reading another article or cleaning the bathroom...

When does this happen to people? I don't remember being like this when I was younger. Maybe I was and I just don't realize it. Maybe I have absolutely unrealistic expectations of how life is supposed to be, but if this is it, it kind of sucks, and I'd like a refund, a do-over, or a personality adjustment.

Anyway, nothing to see here. We now return you to your regularly scheduled surfing.

/end rant


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home