Tuesday, May 10, 2005

On Basketball...

Played some pick-up basketball with some of the Chemical Engineering undergraduates at lunch today. That's really a pretty big accomplishment, given that I haven't played basketball since maybe the eighth grade. Not that that is so long ago, but I was just never terribly good at it, and so never kept up.

There were supposed to be more faculty there, but of course, there wasn't. I was the only one. That seems to happen a lot around here. For all the talk about building community and such, I find that there is a lot of talk, but very little actual action. Not everything needs to be planned or structured. Meeting up for lunch or playing basketball can be as much community building as anything else.

Maybe I have my priorities wrong, and I should be working more. Actually, I am sure I should be working more, but I really think that the smaller things in life are the things that should be enjoyed. Everyone around me is always running around so busy. Sure, I'm busy, but I don't let it stop me from going to an afternoon baseball game, or playing some basketball with the students. Then I wonder if maybe I'm not busy *enough*, and that if I really knew what I was doing, then I would never have the time to do some of the things that I do.

It's frustrating, because I feel like I could in general really enjoy life if it wasn't for all of the worrying about everything all the time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home