Wednesday, May 25, 2005

I wonder...

I wonder what I will be like when I get old...

Well, actually, some days I wonder if I *will* get old.

Where am I going with this? I don't know. I talked to my Mom tonight. She spent the whole day with my grandfather, who will be 83 this summer. He was having cataract surgery today, and Mom was taking him to and from the hospital.

My grandfather still lives on his own, and drives himself around, and is pretty self-sufficient. From what Mom says, though, that may not be the case for much longer. At 83, he is starting to show (some might say he has shown for several years) the signs of someone who needs help with the daily things. I don't think he cooks too much for himself anymore, and his apartment has slowly gotten a little messier as time has gone on.

He is the type of man who has never felt his age, until now, when his body no longer will keep up with the image he has in his head. For years we have tried to get him to be active with senior groups or things of that nature, but he refuses, saying that those people are 'old'.

My Mom broached the subject of assisted living with him today, and he actually was a somewhat responsive to it. I hate to think that it will mean the end of freedom for him, but then also, being around other people more may help him as well.

I wonder what I will be like at 83...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think at 83 you will have a holographic iPod, a phalanx of "nurses," and an army of grad students whose role in life is fixing your oven.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wind would have blown by the the time that you 'would' have turned 83.

Good luck with the act of life, anyway.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home