Sunday, October 09, 2005

Weekend Update

Sunday evening in a very damp and cold New England. Today was a day of rest and recovery, following what I must say is one of the most fun afternoons and evenings that I've had in months.

The dinner party was a success - the table looked great, the food all turned out well, and the most important part - the guests (The Potters, J-Fav, RH, and the Fergusbergs) - were their normal fantastic selves.

I had spent the previous couple of days doing some advance prep work for the meal (see my previous chicken post), but I have to say that a large part of the success of the cooking goes out to my kick-ass sous-chef, RH. She made a blueberry pie for dessert, and basically helped me out with a second set of hands all day. It also probably didn't hurt that we cracked open the wine at around 3 PM to smooth out the rough edges. ;-) If we ever do start that commune that so many of us talk about, I will more than happily share the cooking duties with G-Fav and Jed.

So, the wine flowed and the food was consumed - we raised a glass to absent friends (G-Fav and La Lecturess, we were thinking of you.) We generally cursed MH, who failed to attend b/c he was busy rooting for his beloved NYY. :-P

After dinner, the party proceeded to game-playing. Taboo was the order of the evening, which got progressively more humorous the more the wine flowed. The rest of Team 2 generally compensated for my increasing inability to not say the word printed on the cards. After Taboo, believe it or not, the dancing commenced in the living room courtesy of D.J. iPod.

When all was said and done, no china or glasses were broken, no red wine was spilled (amazing considering what a clutz I am), and it was going on 2AM, far later than I have been up for a party in a while. It was nice not to feel old.

In any case, I had a terrific time, and look forward to the next gathering of friends, whenever that may be.

1 Comments:

Blogger La Lecturess said...

At The Game, silly!

Sorry I missed what sounds like much fun--but I hope I'll have the opportunity, soon, to see you having your way with some chicken breasts.

Love to Bec--
LL

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home