Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Blech

I routinely complain that the weekends are not long enough.

This weekend was fun. R had to work on Sunday, so I decided that, given the nice weather, I was going to head over to Fenway park and try and buy day-of-game tickets for the Sox-Angels game on Sunday. Tickets go on sale 2 hours before game time, which meant noon on this particular day.

So, knowing the insanity that is Red Sox nation, I showed up at 8:30 AM, book in hand to pass the time. I ended up being 3rd in line, and learned that you really don't need to show up until about 10 AM unless it is a Yankee game.

I never did read any of the book, as I ended up talking to the two people ahead of me in line. Number 1 was a guy named Mike, who was a Yankee fan, but needed to see if he was really a closeted Red Sox fan. He got in his car at 7:30 PM Saturday evening in, get this, Halifax (yes, Nova Scotia), and drove 900 miles to come see this game. Number 2 in line was a girl named Tricia, who was from Quincy, and had stood in line for tickets the day before as well.

So, my sister meets me in line about 11 AM, and the ticket office opens at noon. Right before the box office opens, a Red Sox employee comes out and tells us that all they have for today's game is standing room only.

Now, this was disappointing, because the whole point of standing out for day-of-game tickets is that you can often get some good seats; seats that are player's family tix they aren't using, unused VIP seats, etc. But, having stood outside for a couple of hours, I wasn't about to just walk away.

So, we bought the SRO tix and went inside. We found a very nice spot along the first base line, and enjoyed the first 6 innings of the game there. Meanwhile, Mike (guy #1 in line) had gone to someone in management and told them his big story about driving all the way from Halifax, and 'somehow' they found some field box seats for him. Now, to show you what a stand-up guy Mike is, and how you can bond with people in a short amount of time while waiting in lines, in the top of the 7th, a bunch of people in Mike's row with small children decided to leave. Mike came and found me and my sister and told us, and we spent the last 3rd of the game enjoying the view from the $80 seats. Cool. Plus, we win, 6-3. Double cool.

Now, for the not-so-cool ending to the weekend.

I wake up at 2 in the morning feeling sick to my stomach, and end up spending the next two hours in the bathroom being violently and quite disgustingly ill. Around 4:30 in the morning, I am so sick that when I stand up, I almost pass out. I can tell that I am dehydrated, and that there is no way I am replacing fluids as fast as I am, umm...getting rid of them. So, R pours me in the car, and we go to the hospital, where my blood pressure is a startling low 90-something over 40-something. 2 liters of IV fluids later and battery of blood tests that reveal nothing, and I'm sent home with some anti-nausea meds. I'm happy to say that it appears to have been a 24-hour thing, but what a lousy 24-hours.

I like Mondays off as much as the next person, but I can definitely think of better ways to accomplish it than that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Verbose said...

Dude, vomiting sucks. Sorry, man.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home